Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:42:19 -0500

On 08/09/11 12:08, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Joshua Ismael Haase Hernández wrote:
I think we should consider using the term «libre software»
wich is unambiguous.

It has been considered, ref. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

This is what it says:
Unfortunately, all the alternatives in English have problems of their own. We've looked at many that people have suggested, but none is so clearly “right” that switching to it would be a good idea. (For instance, in some contexts the French and Spanish word “libre” works well, but people in India do not recognize it at all.) Every proposed replacement for “free software” has some kind of semantic problem—and this includes “open source software.”

What about positioning Software Freedom”?

--
Quiliro Ordóñez

"No se puede sacrificar la libertad por ningún bien, por ninguna promesa de pan o de paz o de justicia, porque ese pan tendría amargura de veneno, esa paz sería de muerte, y esa justicia no sería justicia humana ni tendría sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero

"Não se pode sacrificar a liberdade por nenhum bem, por nenhuma promessa de pan ou de paz ou de justiça, porque esse pan teria amargura de veneno, essa paz seria de morte, e essa justiça não seria justiça humana nem faria sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero