Re: [GNU-linux-libre] GdNewHat info and request for endorsement.

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] GdNewHat info and request for endorsement.
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:09:41 -0700 (PDT)

Riley Baird (Orthogonal) asked:

> What do we need to evaluate/discuss before it is accepted?

I go use it, look it over, see what packages they have and if there is
any low-hanging fruit like stuff mentioned in [0]. Grabbing the source
code for packages and auditing them is also needed - looking for
things that might be a problem, like non-free things that may be
accidentally included or other stuff that goes against the FSF's
guidelines [1]. It's usually quite a bit of work to comb through
everything so I use software tools like FOSSology [2] to help with it.
Automated license analysis is not perfect but it at least helps to
figure out that which is very clearly free software and that which
needs further investigation.

[0]
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
[1] https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html