Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perha

From: Riley Baird
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perhaps ?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 07:03:28 +1000

>>> In that case, "permissive" licenses also include restrictions -- but
>>> they are not described as such.
>>
>> The choosealicense.com page for the MIT license actually does list the
>> requirement to keep a copy of the license and all copyright notices as a
>> restriction.
>
> Yes, it does, using softer language. This same mode of language should
> be used in the GPL description. Rather than "requires" and "further
> restricts".

Good point. Here's their version:

> The GPL (V2 or V3) is a copyleft license that requires anyone who
> distributes your code or a derivative work to make the source
> available under the same terms. V3 is similar to V2, but further
> restricts use in hardware that forbids software alterations.

And, here's my modified version:

> The GPL (V2 or V3) is a copyleft license that ensures that anyone who
> distributes your code or a derivative work will make the source
> available under the same terms. V3 is similar to V2, but ensures that
> any hardware it is used in will permit software modifications.

(Personally, I don't think that "requires" is strong language in the
same way that "further restricts" is, but I've removed it anyway.)

I'm happy to submit this as a pull request, if you think the language
okay, but before I do, I would like to know if this change in language
would be sufficient to prevent a fork, or if there are other language
problems with the site.