Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Non-free file in open-ath9k-htc-firmware

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Non-free file in open-ath9k-htc-firmware
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:01:23 -0500

> This file [1] apparently comes from the old Atheros HAL [2] Linux and
> FreeBSD kernel module shim [3].  And, despite the license, it has been
> modified by a community member [4] and presumably by Atheros before the
> initial firmware source release [5].

> [1]:
> https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/blob/master/target_firmware/wlan/ah_osdep.h

If I had to guess, this was a mistake. It would seem weird to have just
one short header file (which is short and contains basically just a few
trivial #define statements) with a different license. I filed a bug
report letting them know:
<https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/issues/70>.

Josh

--