Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ?= Usage of NINTENDO=?UTF-8?Q?®?=,=?UTF-8?Q? MAME®

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ?= Usage of NINTENDO=?UTF-8?Q?®?=,=?UTF-8?Q? MAME® and other trademarks
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 12:46:28 -0700 (PDT)

Jean Louis <address@hidden> said:

> Considering all of the above, I propose that NINTENDO® trademark is
> removed from ALL free software distribution as such.

You started a similar thread about this on the Guix mailing list too.

For example I think where, in Guix, the package for Mupen64Plus says that
it "is a cross-platform plugin-based Nintendo 64 (N64) emulator" would be
an example of nominative use.

It would be much more difficult to explain what a program was without being
able to refer to the name. ("This program emulates a certain device
manufactured by a certain company...")

Just because something is a trademark doesn't mean we can never talk of it
or make reference to it.