Re: [GNU-linux-libre] programming language package manager

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] programming language package manager
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 23:18:00 +0200

Op Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:34:35 -0700
schreef Ali Abdul Ghani <address@hidden>:

> There are 2 solutions came in my head
> 1- remove this Package Manager from this programming languages from
> free gnu/linux distributions
>
> in fact If we're removing those package managers, it's going to make
> installing some software much harder.
> 2. Create a separate repository. In this case, we hnede  manpower to
> mirror all the free packages and remove only the non-free ones, else
> we will land in a situation similar to 1. we will also need a pretty Web
> interface in order to attract users.

I think we'd better find a solution that works with the respective
communities instead of forking. Has anyone investigated if license
information is exposed in the various APIs? If it isn't, has anyone
asked for this feature?

Of course this solution assumes that the provided license info is
reliable.