Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Mac-on-Linux entry in free system distribution gui

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Mac-on-Linux entry in free system distribution guidelines list needs correction or removal
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:24:08 -0400

On 04/05/2016 08:38 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> It seems to me that the rationale for an acceptable MAME derivative you
> described applied equally well to other software.

I never gave a rationale for an acceptable MAME derivative. I did say
some of the things that would probably need to be done for it to be
acceptable.

> The ongoing threads
> about this and the undefended remarkable claim on the Mac-on-Linux entry
> about it only running nonfree software tell me more clarification is
> needed in the FSF essay regarding software an FSF-approved free software
> distro can distribute.

I believe you can run GNU/Linux for PPC on the mac-on-linux virtual
machine. Does it require proprietary software to do that? If not, then
this is probably a useful program to be able to test builds of GNU/Linux
programs for the PPC architecture.

I'm not sure such an essay is necessary. What would it say? Would you
like to try to write a paragraph or two?

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>