Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing ConnochaetOS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing ConnochaetOS
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 21:14:43 +0300

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 09:37:16AM -0700, Jason Self wrote:
> In one case, the statement (on gnu.org) is about why Slackware is not
> acceptable. The other is a statement to go use it if they want 64-bit.
> These are not the same. An FSF-endorsed distro shouldn't steer people
> to using ones that are not.

I agree so much on that one.

Even I am aware that many people are not aware of
software freedoms and what it means for future.

It requires teaching people in a mild manner with
care for understanding to take place.

> It's not necessary to tell people how to get
> them in order for it to count as an
> inducement. In this case people's log files get
> spammed with "file not found" error messages. If
> memory serves this matter has also come up with
> RMS before too, and he's on board with the name
> scrubbing. All other endorsed distros use
> Linux-libre. Why should ConnochaetOS receive a
> special exemption?

I do not think that ConnochaetOS shall use
Linux-libre, as long as they use fully free Linux
kernel from any party.

I also do not think that a full free GNU
distribution need to use Linux kernel at all, it
just happens at this point that they are using it,
but in future there can as well exist GNU based on
Minix or Hurd or some type of BSD kernels or
others.

There are obviously very good points in
ConnochaetOS to be included on the list, I wish to
see it.

> - The installer advertises itself as "ConnochaetOS Linux"
> Based on the entry for "Linux system" in the link to Words To Avoid in
> the "Please Avoid Repeating Propaganda and Confusion" part of the GNU
> FSDG this should be changed to GNU/Linux or the Linux reference
> eliminated.

I agree on that one, that is wrong. It refers to
Linux as operating system in that context which is
just contributing to further confusion.

I hope to see more free distributions being
endorsed.

Jean