Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:32:39 -0800 (PST)

Therese Godefroy via RT <address@hidden> wrote ..
> Should a distro that hasn't been maintained for several years be listed
> in free-distros.html, especially if it is based on a major distro which
> itself isn't maintained anymore? I am thinking of Blag, based on Fedora
> 10 (2010).

That's already a thing: One of the criteria in the GNU FSDG is that "to
be listed, a distribution should be actively maintained." When this has
come up in the past, the determination of being actively maintained was
said to rest with the distro maintainers and if *they* consider it to be
maintained or not (as opposed to, say, moving slowly.)

For some examples my understanding is that people are working on BLAG,
and Dragora has published a new beta version for 3.0. It seems better to
try to support such efforts instead of dropping them. We need more people
working on 100% free distros, not less. :)

> Conversely, if unmaintained distros are listed, is there any good
> reason not to list a new one, which clearly is actively maintained
> (Uruk)?

Provided that Uruk (or, really, any new one) successfully completes the
standard review process and is added by FSF staff. (The GNU Webmasters
should not be adding new ones as per
https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/#distros)