Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 06:58:54 -0400

On 03/25/2018 05:58 AM, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
> Debian kernel itself is entirely free but there was issues with messages
> that was brought to us and we worked on it both in PureOS and Debian at
> same time.
>
> https://tracker.pureos.net/T362

i am curious about this - i thought about tackling it myself at one
point but i was told that it is a very difficult problem to fix - the
work you point took one day - if it were so easy i would have hoped this
would have been fixed many years ago

i found it difficult to learn exactly what you guys did though - this is
what i could determine:

* todd opened an issue named "firmware binary warning should not appear
for non-free binaries"
* a few hours later chris said (paraphrasing) "i dont think debian will
take this"
* he instead offered a patch that removed nothing but added the URL to a
debian wiki page to the log warning
* the next day the issue was closed with: "chris.lamb closed this task
as "Resolved". Fixed in initramfs-tools_0.130pureos1"

how exactly was this issue resolved? the issue title seems spot on but
that patch does not even attempt to address the FSDG issue of the blob
name - it is exactly the solution the connochaetos proposed last august
that was not accepted[1] and the review of connochaetos essentially
halted at that point

the 'pureos1' on the end of the package name conventionally indicates
that the downstream has modified the upstream package - but there was no
patch attached to the issue and the pureos website does not indicate any
dedicated section for code review nor version control so it is not at
all clear that pureos added anything to that package on that day

it seems the only way to find this is in the deb repo - but that only
has the most recent version of each package and
initramfs-tools_0.130pureos2 has already clobbered
initramfs-tools_0.130pureos1 - is there any way i (or anyone) could see
what actually changed in that package when chris declared "i fixed it"?

or could you just tell us what did chris actually fix?
* "firmware binary warning should not appear for non-free binaries"

or the debian patch:
* "add a link to the https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware to 'firmware:
failed to load' log messages"

[1]: