Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola evaluation

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola evaluation
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 13:15:10 +0200

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:46:04AM +0200, Benoît wrote:
> For clarity and as bill-auger suggested, please continue the discussion to
> the new Thread I just created :
>
> Hyperbola: Other "Information for practical use" under a free license
> thread.
>
> I already copied your comments on Top of the description of the criteria.
>

> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 09:31:49AM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:

> > > In that sense, with respect to opinions, I do not
> > > see why Hyperbola cannot be free culture and
> > > include the Emacs Manual and GCC manual and GFDL
> > > with invariant sections.
> >
> > Because they are not under Free Culture licences, see
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_Free_Cultural_Works
> >
> > No need to re-go through the arguments, the FSF simple don't believe
> > that all their (or anyone else's) works should be under Free Culture
> > licences and it is isn't a requirement of the FSDG.  Ask the FSF if you
> > don't believe me.

Hyperbola is a distribution, and to me it looks
that they are using the term "free culture" that
is not same as what you are referring to.

Citing from:
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:main:social_contract

> Hyperbola is free culture: All documentation and
> cultural works included in Hyperbola are free
> culture, with the exceptions of: works stating a
> viewpoint, invariant sections and cover texts. All
> documentation and cultural works created by or for
> Hyperbola are free culture, with no exceptions.

So that means they have exceptions and are fine
with the invariant sections, and that should not
be a problem to be accepted as a fully free GNU
system distribution. So they are pretty specific
on what they mean and want.

A term "free culture" may mean something different
in a different context. And in that context on
Hyperbola page it means that they are free culture
with respect to viewpoints and invariant sections
so that GNU FDL may be fully accepted.

Very nice Hyperbola, avanti!

Jean