Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Final comments

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Final comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 18:12:56 +0200

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 12:01:58PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> i am no official - im just reporting what i have
> seen

What I can see:

On the first place, like for those: The following
distros have been passed community evaluation for
all FSDG criteria and are awaiting final review by
the FSF licensing team.

are Freenix https://freenix.net/ and LibertyBSD
https://libertybsd.net/

Really great.

However, I cannot see activity, there is little
activity shown, so there are for example no bugs
that can be submitted.

LibertyBSD is great, but that is not yet mature
distro, bugs, issues are missing.

They cannot be compared to the excellency of
Hyperbola GNU with Linux-libre kernel:
https://www.hyperbola.info/

So obviously that page:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Incoming_distros#Distros_ready_for_final_review_by_the_FSF

does not correspond to what I see, and those first
two shall not yet pass community evaluation (even
that shall be transparent process).

Back again to subject, those distroes, just
because they are on some wiki page that is not
adequate and does not correspond to reality does
not make them fit and proper to be included.

The reasons why:
www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Commitment to Correct Mistakes

Most distribution development teams don't have the
resources to exhaustively check that their
distribution meet all these criteria. Neither do
we. So we expect distros to occasionally contain
mistakes: nonfree software that slipped through,
etc. We don't reject a distribution over
mistakes. Our requirement is for the distribution
developers to have a firm commitment to promptly
correct any mistakes that are reported to them.

Maintenance

To be listed, a distribution should be actively
maintained, and should give the GNU Project a
clear and specific way to report problems of
nonfree software that we find out about. It should
also inform us when the problems we have reported
are fixed.

So those checklist items are simple not yet there
for Freenix, LibertyBSD and ConochaetOS.

Yet, Hyperbola is very well on that one.

Wiki page shall be updated to reflect that
Hyperbola is number one, and those others need
improvements.

And Hyperbola shall be approved as of today or
realistic arguments shall be given why not.

I don't see "lack of time" as reasonable
argument, we speak of free software distribution,
let's hurry up and do it.

Jean Louis