Re: [GNU-linux-libre] linux ppc micropatch.c: why keep it?

From: Jeff Moe
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] linux ppc micropatch.c: why keep it?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:03:17 -0600

On 8/26/21 11:00 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
Though I used to take gNewSense's review double-checked by you as ground
truth,

Some incorrect assumptions in your message. To correct just for the history:

In the end, I didn't use gNewsense's tools, nor review their work. I *started* to go thru their kernel, but it was false positive after false positive, since they had been using the Ubuntu kernel, not the Linus kernel. I just stopped even looking at the gNewsense kernel because it was annoying me each time I found non-free bits that were in Ubuntu's but not in Linus' kernel. I had no interest in cleaning up the Ubuntu kernel, so it was a waste of time. I was interested in cleaning up the mainline Linus kernel. So very early on in Linux Libre, I stopped looking at gNewsense. I have never double-checked gNewsense's work--not back then, not since then.

I should also point out, I'm a sysadmin, not a kernel programmer or gcc maintainer or anything like that. I'd never state a kernel "ground truth"!

I'm now inclined to believe that leaving this file alone was one
of very few mistakes (perhaps the only one) made in the initial
cleaning-up,

If I only made one mistake in the initial release, I was lucky!

-Jeff