[GNU-linux-libre] fork nmap?

From: bill-auger
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] fork nmap?
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:11:09 -0400

i could respond to many of gnutoo's statements on today's other
thread - they are quite important and thoughtful; but i do not
want us two to monopolize the conversation on the first day -
for now i will address this one point, on a new thread, as it
would otherwise drift off-topic

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:40:34 +0200 Denis wrote:
> If it's not already done somewhere else (like in Debian for instance),
> we probably need to fork nmap in the meantime.

as i understand this, a fork would not help - the recent hubbub
over the new license exposed the fact that the parts of the new
license, which induced most of the new complaints, were also in
the previous license, which nmap had been under for over a
decade - the upstream was forthright about that fact, early on in
the debate - they were confused why people were complaining so
fervently; because, the new license did not introduce those
concerns - i suspect that is why the FSF has not yet rescinded
the freeze, despite that over six months ago, the nmap upstream
reinstated the previous license - they may be now, doubting if
nmap was _ever_ libre - ive seen discussions within other
distros, which echoed that doubt

so apparently, the point at which to libre-fork nmap (before the
dubious licensing terms were added), was about 15 years ago -
sure we could fork it; but would anyone use it?