Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Should the use of C#, Mono, and .NET still be disc

From: Jacob K
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Should the use of C#, Mono, and .NET still be discouraged?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:24:14 -0600

On 1/28/23 01:01, bill-auger wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:21:08 -0600 Jacob wrote:
We also found .NET in Parabola [9], further confirming this.

that does not really confirm anything - that package is imported
automatically from arch - it would not be removed unless/until
something non-free about it is reported and confirmed

there have been several bug reports about mono and dotnet over
the years; but only one which was conclusive - that was a library
from microsoft for mono ('referenceassemblies') - that (and
the mono IDE monodevelop) was removed at the time - that was
before dotnet existed for *nix systems

* "Microsoft redistributable assembly EULA"[1]

the others are concerns about reproducibility and privacy -
these were reported against dotnet, soon after it was rele3ased

* "Arch version is not built from source"[2]
* "dotnet-sdk, dotnet-runtime telemetry"[3]
* ".NET spying"[4]

around that same time

I think there are missing links in this part? I see "[1]", "[2]", and "[3]" with no corresponding links or notes. I am not sure if it is a problem on my end or your end though.