Re: why open source software is better

From: Aaron Kulkis
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:33:00 -0500

Craven Moorehead wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:20:56 GMT, lpurple@fnord.io.com (Lance Purple)
> wrote:
>
> >Craven Moorehead  <no@thanks.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Personally, I am in favour of open source Beatles music.
> >>Too bad Paul, George, Ringo and the demon lady want to get paid and
> >>increasingly so.
> >
> >Actually, Beatles music is somewhat "open".  You're allowed to record
> >and sell 'cover' versions of any song they've put out, so long as you
> >pay the compulsory licence fee.  They can't withhold permission, even
> >on awful covers like William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
>
> Yes, still have to pay.
>
> >Moreover, when we talk of "Open Source" software, we're not talking
> >about ripping somebody else's warez and trading it on Napster. We're
> >talking about the AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the source.
> >You do agree they can give away their own property, yes?
>
> Sure, absolutely. but very few people do. few engineers, few
> songwriters, even fewer lawyers  everyone likes to be paid (99%)
>
> I find this thread curious. Open source is better the closed ?
>
> What it REALLY means to most people is free is better then paying for
> something.
>
> 50 million people use Napster, how many would if they had to pay
> commercial rates for the songs ? 1-2 million MAYBE and they would be
> very choosy in what they downloaded.
>
> What do you hear all the time ? Linux guys downloading the latest ISO
> of Linux, clogging up the net with downloads.
>
> Would they do it if they had to pay a fee ? No, most would not.
>
> All Linux has got really going for it is that it is free.
>
> You can crap on about the "AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the
> source" rubbish. If everyone had to pay for Linux and the price was
> the same or more then Windows (the price of Windows could be very
> elastic if MS wants) it would be as dead as a Dodo from a popularity
> perspective.

Only do to the "Unix is sooooooooo scary" propaganda that M$ has
been dishing out since the late 1980's.

> The only really bad thing about Windows is that it costs money. If it

No...what's really bad about Windows is that it not only destroys
itself, but it destroys your data as well.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,