Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software

From: Aaron R. Kulkis
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:57:38 -0500

Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2001, Sam Holden wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:10:03 -0500,
> >       Austin Ziegler <aziegler@the-wire.com> wrote:
> >> It's a weak argument, though. Users[1] want software that works. They
> >> don't want to muck around with the internals of software. They MIGHT
> >> benefit from the source availability by being able to hire someone to
> >> do the work for them, but that assumes that (1) they know someone to
> >> hire, (2) they know how to specify the fixes required, and (3) they can
> >> afford such hire in the first place. If not, they're entirely dependent
> >> upon the goodwill of the developers out there.
> > That's your view.
>
> Which part are you disagreeing with? The whole thing? That's silly on
> its face. First, users -- and by this I mean non-technogeeks and
> technogeeks together -- want software that works. This isn't a view,
> this is a fact.
>
> Second, of those same users, only a FEW of the technogeeks are going to
> want to bother with the source code for any given program directly.

The "low" proportion of programmers is mmaterial.
If ONE programmer fixes a bug in an open-source program, and releases the
patch, then the bug has been fixed FOR EVERYBODY.

Looking at sheer numbers, Unix-land has FAR more programmers than Windows.
This has Bill Gates exceedingly agitated....college kids are setting
up Linux on what are literally thrown-away machines (486, early Pentiums),
and have a development platform for very few $$$....getting a development
package for Windows costs a couple THOUSAND dollars...and then you gotta
pay a few thousand MORE for the documentation...

Not many college kids have $10,000 to throw around just to get started
in C and/or C++.

> Again, this isn't a view, this is a fact. When you look at the
> proportion of geek-users to real-world users, the numbers are
> vanishingly small for those who want to touch the code. When you look
> at certain sets of programs, you find that the numbers are (sadly) even
> smaller. Once again, this isn't a view, it's a fact.

So, you must be implying that the variety of Windows software is
due to a high proportion of Windows  programmers who are programmers.
This contradicts your initial assumption that there is a very very
low proportion of programmers.

Game
set
match.

YOU LOSE!

> Third, my analysis of one's options if one DOES have the source code
> available is also a fact. The options are PRECISELY as I've stated:
> either depend on the goodwill of developers (the developers of the
> package or developers you know) or hire someone. Most users aren't
> going to know a fscking thing about hiring a software developer to fix
> their software problems -- again, this is a fact.

As opposed to closed-source platforms, where the option doesn't
even exist...at ANY level.

> I'm curious how you translate these three FACTUAL items into a 'view'
> -- as if you could dismiss this reality. Maybe you think you can.
>
> I'm a software designer, and I have NO interest in seeing or mucking
> around with the source code to a Quicken-like software program. I want
> it to work. I want it to work with my bank's software, and I want it to

In which case, you should be pushing for software that works according
to open, published communications and data format standards, so that
there will be competition for who can come up with the best implementation
of software which conforms to those standards.

> work with my investment goals, too. I know what I'm paid, and it's far
> easier for me to upgrade to the next version (assuming I have a
> problem) than it is to consider mucking around the internals of
> software. (I could spend about 4 hours looking at the source code
> before I've exceeded the value proposition such activity offers me.

Are you familiar with the sentance of death by a thousand cuts?

Why spend $100 for an upgrade, when there is an option to get
equivalent (even SUPERIOR) performance without spending money?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,