Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is bet

From: Aaron R. Kulkis
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is better
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:35:58 -0500

Jay Maynard wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 04:30:13 GMT, Charlie Ebert <charlie@charlie.ebertlan>
> wrote:
> >After reviewing the U.N. definition of human rights we've been fighting about
> >for the last 50 years, I can find nothing in the definition which say's
> >property rights are indeed apart of human rights.
>
> I do not view the UN definition as authoritative, as it does not include
> another basic human right guaranteed by the US Constitution's Bill of
> Rights.
>
> >You would THINK you have a right to OWN property in the United States
> >but this is not true either.  If you fail to pay your taxes on
> >the poperty you "OWN?" you will loose it to court ordered forfeiture.
>
> Absent an obligation like taxation, though, property rights are sacrosanct;
> in particular, the government cannot take your property without
> compensation. If your property is seized for failure to pay taxes, should
> the government receive more for that property in a subsequent sale than the
> amount of taxes due (and its costs in seizing and selling the property),
> then they are obligated to pay you the surplus.
>
> >You CAN choose to view the GPL license as a destroyer of property
> >rights or you can CHOOSE to view it as an ensurer of property rights
> >as I do.   With the GPL I'm assured that my work won't be copied,
> >cloned and even fobidden from MY USE by another power.
>
> Bzzt. Nobody can prevent you from using your own work. They can only prevent
> you from using their work.

You haven't read the EULA for Microsoft software.  It explicitly states
that documents created with MS Word, for example, may *NOT* be viewed
with any non-M$ product.  When combined with the fact that Microsoft also
reserves the right to revoke your EULA for any number of trivial infractions
(created for the sole purpose of allowing them to threaten you with
license revocation), this in fact means "anything you create with M$
word is property of Microsoft, not you":

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,