Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software

From: Aaron R. Kulkis
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:56:47 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <ink@inconnu.isu.edu> wrote in message
> > Jeffrey Siegal <jbs@quiotix.com> writes:

> GPL
> > >
> > > Frankly, I don't believe that very many people -- aside from a few
> > > anti-GPL zealots -- really care about the "deceptive nature" of the GPL
> > > or of the term "free software."
>
> I think it is the other way around.   After understanding the deceptive
> nature, people become anti-GPL.
>
> > > Anyone who takes a little bit of time to look into the issue can easily
> > > determine what the terms of the GPL are, and what the FSF means by the
> > > term "free software" which it coined.  It may not be the same term that
> > > some other people would use, but so bit it.  It's just a name.
> >
> > Not true.
>
> Yes, I think the people who did RIPEM were very surprised
> that they were not permitted to distribute unrestricted code
> that contained calls to the gpm library and had to rewrite
> the work-alike fgpm because of the legal threats.
>
> > Many people misunderstand the license and think that it means "if you
> > modify my code and distribute it, you must give me the changes".  It
> > doesn't mean that at all, it means "If you use my code in any sort of
> > development effort, no matter how disparate, and distribute it, you
> > must make *all* your code GPL-compatible licensed as well".  See the
> > difference?
>
> Much worse than that: you can't share your effort of combining
> existing freely available code into larger works if any
> (but not all) of the parts are under the GPL.   That is, since
> it is impossible to change the copyright on other existing code
> not already encumbered by the GPL, you cannot redistribute
> it at all, even though all of previous components are freely
> available and you do not wish to add additional restrictions
> on your work.

I wouldn't say that.

You can legally create a CD which has some GPL-ware, and some
seperately-developed code that is under any other license...
just as long as the non-GPL code doesn't directly reference
the GPL source code.

For example, if you develop a package that opens up, say, a
kfm window, that does NOT require you to GPL your code just
because you have the line

        system ( "kfm");

embedded within your code.

Conversely, if you decide to take lines of kfm.c and use it
in your code, or have something like

#include "kfm.h"

THEN you are required to put your code under the GPL, because
you are using GPL-source code in your work.

It all depends upon the relation and status of individual SOURCE
CODE files, *NOT* whether your code forks off processes that are
stand-alone GPL programs.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,