Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time

From: Aaron R. Kulkis
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:29:12 -0500

Jay Maynard wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:55:41 GMT, T. Max Devlin <tmax@commercelinks.net>
> wrote:
> >One profiteer of BSD software can make future *licenses* of all future
> >software more restrictive ("non-free"); this cannot happen with GPL,
> >which is the entire point.
>
> Pure unadulterated horse exhaust.
>
> If this were the case, M$, or Sun, or any one of a thousand other companies,
> could prohibit further development and distribution of BSD. A visit to
> www.netbsd.org will demonstrate this to be utterly false.
>
> There is *NOTHING* that M$ can do that will prohibit me from running NetBSD,
> now or ever.
>
> >That's pretty much the point.  I suppose that is why you go on with this
> >silly ranting about how "GPL-is-not-free".  It is a fact, not an
> >assumption, that GPL software is free.  You cannot change that nature,
> >as you can other, less free, software using other open source licenses.
>
> More unadulterated horse exhaust. You *CANNOT* change the fact that BSD is
> now and will forever be free, free to acquire, free to run, free to
> redistribute. Neither can anyone else.
>
> If people wouldn't repeat this utter falsehood, I wouldn't be compelled to
> keep pointing out its falsity.

Can you guarantee that your BSD-licensed code can't be commandeered
by some monopolist without giving proper attribution and credit to
the people who did the REAL work?

A) yes
B) no

Since GPL REQUIRES the source code to be made available, then it gets
pretty difficult to hide who did the real work, and who's merely
jumping into the driver's seat of somebody else's creation.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,