Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software

From: Aaron R. Kulkis
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:30:31 -0500

JD wrote:

> "Jim Richardson" <warlock@eskimo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If you call that a proof, you have a funny definition of logic.
> >
> There was no proof in the text that you quoted.  Please look elsewhere,
> and criticize what was written (not HOW it was written.)
>
> Paraphrasing part of the discussion, and sufficient to demonstrate the
> fallacy about the GPL license being a license of free software.
>
> Basically, free software has weak (no) limitations on use and redistribution,
> and the GPL has strong limitations on redistribution.  In fact, by default,
> you
> have to read the text of the GPL 'checklist' to make sure that you comply.
> Even an
> average user can easily have problems complying the the restrictions
> associated with the GPL.  The restrictions with the GPL are more likely to
> impact a commercial user, but this shows that the restrictions are effectively
> discriminatory (a desirable, but non-necessary aspect of free software.)
>
> With free software licenses, a USER has NO limitations that the license
> restricts
> the redistributing of code, in whole or in part.  With free software licenses,
> a user can give up some of their freedom to redistribute (e.g. mention the
> code in advertising), but that was certainly a voluntary act.  A normal user
> will not 'advertise' the code before giving it to their friend.  Of course,
> with free software, a user can give software away in whole or in part, and
> requires no additional work or research to be shared, even given modified
> works.  Additionally, Note that software distributions sometimes do modify
> themselves as a result of user activities during running (e.g. databases,
> datafiles, or
> runtime interpreted operations.)  This is, of course, not a major issue, but
> is an issue nonetheless.
>
> The above paragraph, and understanding the GPL (redistribution restrictions
> and
> requirements) is certainly sufficient to demonstrate the GPL is not free.
> RMS talks
> so much about 'sharing' in his docs, and the license actually doesn't allow
> 'sharing' of binaries (the user's tools) UNLESS the user complies with a
> checklist.  Given the
> 'sharing' is one of the important effects of the GPL, it is inconsistant
> even with a major goal.  Free software doesn't have that problem.
>
> If you respect the text of the GPL license, and the fact that free software
> allows
> both free use and redistribution, then it is clear that GPLed only
> works aren't free.  (Parallel licenses might free the software, but that is

Correct.  You are OBLIGATED to show the same courtesy which was
extended to you.

You have a problem with that?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,