Re: proper way of packaging a GPLed perl script

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: proper way of packaging a GPLed perl script
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:20:17 -0800 (PST)

I used GPLed perl scripts all the time.
The best way IMHO is to

1. Create an MakeMaker package
2. Use that to create a PPM and a tgz distribution.
3. From that you can create a debian package and a RPM
for installing.
That way the user has many ways to install, but a

makemaker and a tgz would be the minimum.

Check www.perlmonks.org and search for packaging and
makemaker for lots of information.

mike

--- ichudov@ak47.algebra.com wrote:
> I wrote a perl script for downloading of very large
> multipart binaries
> posted to usenet.  (not for porn pictures, but for
> things like movies,
> ISO images, etc). The script is actually quite smart
> in what it does.
>
> I want to make it available for the general public,
> however I am not
> sure how to package it properly. Right now, it
> creates (and requires)
> several subdirectories under the current
> directories:
>
> nfo/
> cache/
> download/
> etc/
>
> is that appropriate?
>
> It also requires several perl modules.
>
> One question is, should I package he modules with it
> or let the users
> install it?
>
> igor

=====