Re: Boycott SCO?

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: Boycott SCO?
Date: 23 Jul 2003 08:26:01 +0200

Am Die, 2003-07-22 um 23.04 schrieb Michael Elizabeth Chastain:
> The SCO Group has launched a legal and PR attack on Linux in particular
> and free software in general.
>
> I would like the FSF to boycott The SCO Group.  Specifically, I would
> like to propose that the FSF drop support for SCO operating systems from
> all GNU products.

I don't think this would be right. It would contradict the basic freedom
number 0: the freedom to use the software for any purpose (and certainly
on any system you want).

Apart from that, a measure like that would punish SCO's user, not SCO.

As a side note, I don't think the FSF explicitly "supports" SCO
operating systems now. The FSF very much concentrates on the GNU
operating system.
The only thing that's there now might be a few #ifdefs to make several
programs compile and run under SCO operating systems, and if we remove
these on purpose to break compatibility with SCO, we
a) aren't much better than M$, who also change code to break
compatibilty with other systems they don't like and
b) will probably simply cause a fork to happen.

> Is gnu.misc.discuss a good forum for discussing this issue?

Probably yes.

Just my 2 (Euro) Cents :-)

Reinhard