Re: Added to standards.texi

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Added to standards.texi
Date: 18 Sep 2003 10:46:12 -0400

> * Richard Stallman <ezf@tah.bet> [2003-09-17 14:03:29 -0400]:
>
> Please don't use ``win'' as an abbreviation for Microsoft Windows in
> GNU software or documentation.  In hacker terminology, calling
> something a "win" is a form of praise.  If you wish to praise

Those who call themselves a "hacker" should know the difference between
"win32" and "win".

> Microsoft Windows when speaking on your own, by all means do so, but
> not in GNU software.  Usually we write the word ``windows'' in full,
> but when brevity is very important (as in file names and sometimes
> symbol names), we abbreviate it to ``w''.  For instance, the files and
> functions in Emacs that deal with Windows start with @samp{w32}.

"win32" is a widely recognized and accepted name of a common API:
<http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Win32>
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32>
<http://www.iseran.com/Win32/FAQ/faq.htm>

I complied with the GNU/Linux request because it (arguably) had merits.
I see no merits in this request whatsoever - either in the substance (I
do not see `win32' to be a form of praise) or in the form (I do not see
how you can rename a program that you did not author), so
I refuse to comply with these Orwellian mind control demands.

When I talk about the Windows 32-bit API, I will abbreviate it exactly
as everyone else does - win32.

Free Software should be about freedom of speech too -
Just say NO to the GNU Ministry of Truth!

PS. the original Stallman message went to gnu-prog; that list is
    moderated, so it should set the Reply-to header!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.