Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:57:34 +0100

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 08:06 -0700, Snuffelluffogus wrote:
> I just noticed on the FSF website that they are taking
> money from Sun, Oracle, Cisco, IBM, and several other
> countries that are sending jobs to the most irresponsibly
> governed countries on the planet, such as China, Russia,
> India, Pakistan.

Hi, the people from iptables have been persuing GPL infractors, and have
achieved not only enforcement but also a compensation consisting in
donations to the FSF. Is this not just?

Those companies make a lot of money from software developed in the scope
of the GNU project, is it not just to support the project?

You are probably angry, and I can surely understand, but you should not
mix issues just because of that.

> If the cause of open source software
> is a just one, why does the FSF have as its bedfellows
> thugs, traitors and criminals?

FSF is not fighting for the cause of open source, but of Free Software.

To see what this is about, you could do well in reading many of the
texts under:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/

specifically:

What is Free Software?
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Is `Open Source' Synonymous With `Free Software'?
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Regards, Rui