Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers
Date: 29 Apr 2004 01:26:21 +0200

darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote in message
> > darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) writes:
> >
> > > Yes, similar to how the slave trade helped certain Africans
> > > while being a boon for the traders in Europe and the New World.
> >
> > No, the moral equivalents of the slave "traders" are the Western
> > anti-globalists, who believe that temporary disruption when retraining
> > for another job are unacceptable price for a trade that will bring ten
> > families in the undeveloped countries out of poverty.
>
> Those ten families are in poverty because firstly their politicians
> are corrupt or oppressive and it is the populations'
> responsibilities to fix that, not ours;

So they are taking on qualified jobs.  That's how the population is
fixing the problem of poverty responsibly.  And the Indian populace
(as an example) is not poor because of corruption or oppression:
corrupt politicians in Western nations have a much higher income than
their counterparts in India.  Actually, even the noncorrupt ones
(unless you call the impressive pays and recompensations of state
representatives voted on by democratic consent of the state
representatives corrupt in itself) have a higher income here than the
corrupt ones in India could hope to achieve.

> and secondly they produce far more offspring than they can afford
> and it is their own responsiblity to change that behavior (which
> often is the result of vanity and racism anyway).

"afford"?  Many can't afford _less_ offspring because it is the only
available option for old age security.  In order to change that, they
need jobs with an income sufficient for financing other securities.
Technology jobs are a good shot there.

> In short, they screw up and it is their fault and their problem.  It
> is unethical to let them make their problem ours by giving them our
> jobs.

They are _working_ for the jobs.  They are not getting alms or
something.  It would be unethical to prohibit them work just because
the American system is not competitive.

> > And I know the Indian programmers who get the jobs.
>
> I've known irresponsible people, but that doesn't mean I support
> their irresponsible behavior.

Talking about responsibility: do you have a name to sign under your
writings?  Or are you just blaring your chauvinistic views from the
safety of relative anonymity?