Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers

From: Klaus von der Heyde
Subject: Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:39:44 +0200

Martin Dickopp wrote:

> I don't get your point.  Surely you don't mean that just because
> software is different from tangible objects, it is unethical to pay
> humans in a foreign country to write software?

I should have deleted the two lines above my statement. It was not
meant as an answer to them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

To be more precise: software can be transfered around the globe
at virtually zero cost, and there are no expensive factories to
be built to produce software, making outsourcing more attractive.
On the other hand, software often needs to be customized where
it is used, thus creating jobs in all places it is used
(long distance support is often not practical or desired).

As for the payment, the huge differences between countries in
how much money a "good" payment is makes outsourcing attractive.
These differences are based on the costs of living in each
country/region, of course, which for some reason (inadequate
exchange rates for currencies play into this, imho) vary so much.

Klaus