Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:21:51 -0400

In article <878ygelmtd.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org>,
 Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <c6piil$tj1$1@blue.rahul.net>,
> >  c.c.eiftj@1-ClickXXS.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi) wrote:
> >
> >> Most Microsoft users use "open" to mean "whatever happens after I click".
> >
> > I doubt anyone thinks that when they click on a link in a browser and it
> > goes to another page or submits a form that this is "launching an
> > application".
>
> Are web-based email services applications?

Possibly.  But the individual operations within the email service aren't.

BTW, rather than harping on the phrase "open the application", I'm more
concerned about "limited resource computing device".  This is used in
just about every claim, but I'm not sure what it means.  The Description
refers to PDAs, and explains that the reason this method is needed is to
make up for the lack of a keyboard -- i.e. instead of holding down
modifier keys like control or shift while you click, it uses the length
of the click.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA