Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 12:03:54 +0200

On 6 May 2004 17:43:06 -0700
darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) wrote:

> Basic human decency is an attribute of any normal child,

Bzzt! Wrong. Think wolf-children.

Do you have children of your own? I have six, and I
can tell you from personal experience that what we
call "basic human decency" is a vitue that one has
to instill in children.
Take for example caring for the people with mental
problems such as schizophrenia. Bantu (traditionally)
remove such people from their villages by chaining
them to a tree outside the compound. The villagers
might bring food, but mostly leave the person to die.

> and if society
> or industry or religion is removing that then these institutions
> should be changed first.

<aside>
Society is not an institution, it's a shorthand for a
number of people living together.
Industry isn't an institution either, but a shorthand for
a class of economic activity.
Finally, religion isn't an institution, but a set of
(often irrational) beliefs. Organised religions are
institutions.
</aside>

The myth of the Noble Savage is just that, a myth.
Much of what we consider "basic human decency" is
the result of our culture, and different cultures
have different standards of decency and morality.

"Society" as such cannot be changed. What can change are
the attitudes and beliefs of people, and when that
happens, society will have changed.

> Start by abolishing religion.

One can abolish organised religion. One cannot abolish
people's beliefs.

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Anyway, so you think it would be unethical for a paraplegic recovery
>> patient to help a little old lady across a busy road without payment
>> because it required YEARS of EXPENSIVE TREATMENT for him to gain that
>> ability, right?
>
>The purpose of his training was not helping people. He might be
>putting someone out of work who is trained to help old people.

What a distinctly odd belief. Do you really believe that
because you were allowed to train for a particular job,
you have an inalienable right to exercise it?
Every week-end, millions of DIYers are putting trained
painters, electricians, plumbers, gardners and masons
out of work. People who reheat TV-dinners are OK,
but those who dare to prepare meals from fresh produce
(and worse, those who commit the abomination of growing
their own veggies) condemn gourmet chefs and patty-turners
alike to a life of squalid poverty.  Grandmothers who
care for their grand-children rob trained educators from
their jobs, and women who consent to having sex with
their husbands are putting prostitutes on the dole.
How dare they!

--
Stefaan