Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending

From: W Randolph Franklin
Subject: Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending
Date: 7 May 2004 20:15:03 GMT

According to Paul Hovnanian P.E. <Paul@Hovnanian.com>:

> This could be an interesting tactic on the part of various
> companies with too much cash and not enough actual work to
> do. Swamp the patent office with crap. If the reviewers are
> buried in garbage, maybe they'll just start rubber stamping
> them to clear out their in baskets.

Australia has an "innovation patent" that is just like this.
You submit an idea, say for a "circular transportation
facilitation device", and they automatically register your
submission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1418165.stm

A really crappy patent is IBM's US patent 6,329,919:

"System and method for providing reservations for restroom use

"The present invention is an apparatus, system, and method for
providing reservations for restroom use. In one embodiment, a
passenger on an airplane may submit a reservation request to
the system for restroom use. The reservation system determines
when the request can be accommodated and notifies the
passenger when a restroom becomes available. The system
improves airline safety by minimizing the time passengers
spent standing while an airplane is in flight."

They later dedicated the patent to the public.

Wm Randolph Franklin
The email address in the header is invalid.  To write me,
search my web site.  http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/wrf/