Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]

From: AES/newspost
Subject: Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:29:40 -0700

In article <0a6d566512324680bd8cc8739db81015@news.teranews.com>,
 A Waterfall That Barks <jabailo@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the
> statute and of the grant itself, ³the right to exclude others from
> making, using, offering for sale, or selling² the invention in the
> United States or ³importing² the invention into the United States. What
> is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or
> import, but the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for
> sale, selling or importing the invention.

Glad to see this basic character of patents so clearly stated.  Seems to
me it rather dramatically emphasizes the nature of a patent -- and the
misconceptions as to the "rights" of an inventor in his invention that
are perpetuated by much of the conventional discussion of patents.

In brief, obtaining a patent grants the inventor no new rights of any
kind with respect to using, making, selling, or otherwise explointing
his invention, that he would not already have without obtaining a
patent.  It only *takes away* rights from *others* that these others
would have had, had the patent not been granted (including in particular
their rights to use, make, sell, or exploit the same invention should
they themselves independently make exactly the same invention).