Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:23:04 +0200

Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> writes:

> I'm in the camp of Linus Torvalds: "He who writes the code chooses
> the license."

That isn't the case today, even ignoring "work for hire".  If you put
"you are not allowed to copy this program, even for backups" in the
license, that clause is not enforceable by law.  At least not here.
The right to take backups is inalienable, even by mutual consent.

I believe such limitations on what licenses will be backed by the
force of law is a good thing, and we ought to have more of them.

Technically, one could make "sharing the code" such a passive right.
However, "getting the source" could not be guaranteed that way, that
requires active enforcement.