Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]

From: AES/newspost
Subject: Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:29:53 -0700

In article <hf9oc.108$sD1.34@newsfe6-win>,
 "Barry Pearson" <news@childsupportanalysis.co.uk> wrote:

> Chuckle! Some patents leave you a bit amazed, don't they?
>
> But what is the credible alternative?

Need some way to have a meaningful downside for asking for and being
awarded an patent which may later be found invalid.

Here's an idea, admittedly wildly unrealistic, but not impossible and
not wildly nonsensical.

Inventor, who's asking for this special govt license to harm others, is
the one who should presumably know what its possible future value might
be (it's "upside").

So, along with application the inventor states a dollar amount he thinks
the patent is worth (amount is strictly his choice, not necessarily the
same as his hoped for upside, but presumably some fraction of potential
upside).

He then pays this amount as an entirely nonrefundable payment to the
govt in return for being granted this license, if and when the patent
issues.

Once patent has issued all income from the patent up to some multiple of
the initial license fee (maybe 5 times the initial fee) is tax exempt or
gets other special consideration; all direct receipts from the patent
beyond that value are divided between the patent holder and the govt in
some stated ratio (50/50?).

I'm not seriously proposing this; would obviously be extremely difficult
to implement and administer -- but it would have the merit of making the
patent applicants think hard about how much the patents (i.e., the
exclusionary rights) they're asking for would really be worth.  If an
inventor can put X million into developing an invention, hoping or
expecting to earn Y millions from a patent on it, he ought to be willing
and able to risk Y/5 millions at the start, in return for right to 80%
of first Y millions of return and 50% of all return beyond that.