Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch

From: AES/newspost
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:17:05 -0700

In article <2278899.skYBDp9u54@big-box.madhouse>,
 paul cooke <paul_cooke@linuxNOSPAMmail.org> wrote:

> It's bad enough that lots of building management software already runs on
> top of ms-windows... but the prospect of Microsoft muscling in on the
> BMS/home automation front must fill those companies already in this market
> with despair as their market share will evaporate... cos dollars to
> doughnuts, the basic software will be bundled in on Microsoft's media/home
> automation platform... and like all Microsoft software that comes with the
> default system, will be basic but just about do the job well enough so that
> owners will not be tempted to go and actually find software that does the
> job properly... witness the hordes of users still using outlook express and

Not to mention that ultimately we'll all have to buy all our
applicances, radios, TVs, lamps, heating systems, thermostats, garage
door openers, etc, etc, from MS or they won't work properly in an
MS-controlled home.

And of course the amount of data  that MS will be able to upload about
nearly every aspect of our daily lives.

Not to mention the vulnerabilities to hackers and other intruders that
will come from massive numbers of deliberate or accidental trap doors
and open access capabilities in the MS software.