Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:13:11 -0400

In article <slrncac935.m82.zen19725@cabalamat.cabalamat.org>,
 zen19725@zen.co.uk (phil hunt) wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:45:21 -0400, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> >No, I didn't overlook it.  My point is that without patents, even these
> >rare wins would be virtually impossible.  Patents are one of the few
> >weapons a small player can wield against a behemoth like Microsoft.
>
> On the contrary, patents help microsoft in their fight against pesky
> competition, especially that of the open source variety. MS *loves*
> patents, because it gives them the chance to make it a crime for
> anyone to compete with them.

Of course it helps Microsoft.  It helps *everyone* -- big guys and
little guys.

In a capitalist system, rich guys are always going to be able to take
better advantage of whatever capabilities society provides.

But even without patents, Microsoft could afford to pay off their
competitors.  Little guys can't do that.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA