Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch

From: T . Max Devlin
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:11:38 -0400

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:59:08 -0400, Barry Margolin
<barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>In article <c85t6j$j2v$1@blue.rahul.net>,
> c.c.eiftj@GatesXPate.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi) wrote:
>
>> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>> >Of course it helps Microsoft.  It helps *everyone* -- big guys and
>> >little guys.
>>
>> First it's a weapon that Stac wields against Microsoft.  Then, a couple
>> of sentences later, the lawsuit helped Microsoft.  Then, in the next
>> sentence, it helped everyone.
>>
>> And all these inconsistent and random assertions are offered without any
>> proof whatsoever.

He doesn't seem to be following, does he, Rahul?

>I didn't say *that* lawsuit helped Microsoft.  I said that the patent
>system helps Microsoft, but it also helps the little guys so they can
>sue Microsoft.

But, of course, it doesn't, since Microsoft isn't just another company
competing with patents.  There monopoly power gives them a bankroll
sufficient to change the rules about who wins and who loses in a
lawsuit, even if it costs them billions of dollars.    Just like any
other property rights, patent in the hands of such an entity can be
used to provide predatory leverage.