Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]

From: Henry E Schaffer
Subject: Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 00:19:45 +0000 (UTC)

In article <Xns94E6741B54989elektrosmdonet@130.133.1.4>,
Alun  <elektros@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ..
>I don't think the conclusions follow from the premises in that. I think
>most of us who are patent professionals agree that the reason that bad
>software patents issue is that the examiners mostly look at existing
>patents for prior art. Since software wasn't always patentable, it is a
>given that most really basic ideas won't be found in their search, and so
>they are then compelled to allow the patent.

  Problems of this sort have been known since the start of issuance of
software patents.  A Univ. of Michigan faculty member (now emeritus)
Bernie Galler has had a long history of working on these problems.
Search on his name to find more information - also see www.spi.org
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu