Re: Why Don't 'We' Talk about XML ???

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why Don't 'We' Talk about XML ???
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:28:48 GMT

> XML is not a binary format.  That means that human readability is a
> concern.  And coding conventions etc.

If readability were really an issue, I think XML would have been defined
differently.

Most actual uses of XML I've seen are pretty damn close to binary
(e.g. see Subversion).  Even if the XML is generated "by hand" it's most
often done via some specialized editor that hides a large part of the XML
textual representation and lets the user manage the conceptual tree instead.
I.e. for all the writer knows, the data representation could just as well be
binary or lisp-sexp and she wouldn't know the difference.

        Stefan