Re: Linux is SHIT

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Linux is SHIT
Date: 24 May 2004 21:21:52 +0200

T. Max Devlin <tmax@localnet.com> writes:

> On 24 May 2004 00:03:10 -0700, rolftollerud@msn.com (Rolf Tollerud)
> wrote:
>
> >"Linux is business."
> >
> >For 8 years now each year has been declared "the year of Linux
> >desktop", no inroads at all has been made.
>
> For 8 years, noticeable inroads have been made.  But MS still
> illegally maintains monopoly power.

Uh, it is not illegal to maintain a monopoly as long as you don't do
it by unfair means.  The antitrust laws tie the hands of monopolists
for certain acts that, in the hand of a monopolist, are likely to
nullify the regulating power of the free market.  In short, there are
some rules that kick in, once you have gained a monopoly, to make sure
that basically the best, as opposed to the strongest (which often at
least implies a _history_ of being best in some respect), will survive
in the long run.

In short, you must not bully if you are the only one with the
necessary strength for it.

> >Linux is a 30 year old incorrectly designed OS that should have
> >been "Microkernel".
>
> And Windows is a badly designed non-OS that should have been a
> forgotten footnote in the history of PC software.

Well, it is.  Linux has _never_ been redesigned even from the start.
There have only been replaced subsystems, added stuff and so on.  And
yet it is now an enterprise level system with unique performance.  In
contrast, Windows has been replaced _several_ times _from_ _scratch_,
with the help of compatibility layers.

In general, it is a good rule of thumb for good engineering to first
work on a project until it basically functions, then scrap it and do
another version from scratch, after having learnt all the necessary
lessons.

Windows needed about 4 completely different code bases in its history
in order to learn its lessons.  They are only now getting to a point
where they are close to being competitive.  Except in the gaming
compartment which is their stronghold.

Apart from that, I see little point in using Windows as long as Linux
and various BSD variants exist.