GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw

From: PrussianSnow
Subject: GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:02:51 +0100

Hi all,

I am currently developing a library which I intend to release under the GNU
GPL. (Yes, the GPL, not the LGPL... for my own little neurotic reasons.)

However, I would like to make a version of this library which is capable of
running under MS Windows to facilitate porting of application using the library
onto this platform. However, the only way I have found to obtain acceptable
graphics performance is to use the DirectDraw portion of the MS DirectX system
in order to bypass the Windows graphics subsystem. (It's working so that's not
the issue...)

The problem I am having is in clarifying the licensing issues raised by
combining GPL software with MS DirectX.

Obviously I don't have the code for DirectX but it looks like DirectX would
easily fall under the standard OS component exception in the GPL. All versions
of Windows starting somewhere around Windows 95 have shipped with some version
of DirectX so this is a strong argument in my opinion.

HOWEVER, in order to use DirectX I need to use an include file for DirectDraw.
Microsoft makes the required file, DDRAW.H, available for download in their
DirectX SDK so I can just point users at this is they want to re-compile but
then I'm not really including all the source am I? Also, there is no saying if
Microsoft will pull this file off their servers or charge for it next week or
next year, or some other scenario; so where do I stand? (PS The standard
include file works without modification under MingW so I don't have to worry
about distributing a modified file--I just need to justify not including the
copyrighted file.)

The executable raises some other questions. I guess I can't statically link to
a DirectX library so I have to at least link at runtime to a DirectX DLL, what
are the implications of this? (I don't want to write a wrapper for DirectDraw,
place it in the public domain and then link to that... although this is an
interesting hypothetical situation for comparison.)

I'm sure there are other GPL apps (or ports thereof) out there that have run
into this particular scenario as DirectX is used extensively under Windows.
Anyone have any good suggestions regarding where I can find some more
information?

PrussianSnow