Re: GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:45:52 -0400

"PrussianSnow" <1edm@qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:
> The problem I am having is in clarifying the licensing issues raised
> by combining GPL software with MS DirectX.

If it's your own code, the GPL doesn't impose any requirements on you.
You are the copyright holder, so you can do whatever you want (as long
as your code doesn't violate Microsoft's copyrights).  The GPL just
grants additional permission to everyone else to do certain things
with your code.  It may be that they would need permission from
Microsoft as well to do some of those things, and so they actually
might not be able to exercise all the permissions you seem to give
them.

But you could state that you would allow everyone to modify and
redistribute your code even if they can't provide the source for
Microsoft's parts, even if the GPL would not normally allow that.

paul