Re: Gnu say "LInux is just a kernel"

From: washer of kegs
Subject: Re: Gnu say "LInux is just a kernel"
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:42:19 -0000

Grover Cleveland wrote:

> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>
> Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system
> (18k characters) every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn
> of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is more often
> known as ``Linux'', and many users are not aware of transcends of its
> connection with the GNU Project.

If we wanted to stand on protocol, it we would say we run a POSIX compliant
Unix like operating system with a kernel called Linux, system tools by gnu
and windowing system supplied by Xfree86.  I think I will stick to telling
people I run Linux, rolls of the tongue easier.

gnu is not an OS either but an user environment.  Thanks to Cygwin I can do
almost anything on a windows box that I can on a Linux box.

To initiate a flame fest...
The only thing you can do with Linux (the kernel) is to use it to run linux
(the OS).  The gnu tools on the other hand run on just about every OS
created to date (making some almost useable). You could say that Gnu
transcends the OS.

Praise be to Saint Ignucius.