Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:23:22 +0200

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
[...]
> You lawfully own ten copies of GNU readline. You
> haven't assented to the GPL. The GPL acknowledges
> that you can have a copy without assenting to the
> license.

Note that I can also make use of these copies. For example, use
them as components of larger works (compilations).

> First sale says you can sell the copies, provided they
> are "tangible". ...

The Library Associations (and others) disagree.

> If you modify readline ...

http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2004-March/004152.html

Expansive FSF's claims are barred by the doctrine of copyright
misuse and the doctrine of first sale. If you believe in freedom,
defend fair use, first sale, and very narrow scope of derivative
work. Stallman is out to destroy freedom.