Re: Does IBM REALLY support Linux?

From: John Thompson
Subject: Re: Does IBM REALLY support Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:07:30 GMT

On 2004-06-15, Stephan Simonsen <coffin_bagger@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If IBM is truly an honest Linux supporter why are IBM's web pages
> plastered with:
>
> "IBM Recommends Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
>
> http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2049132
>
> Two faced IBM is nothing but a gigantic parasitic opportunist and I don't
> buy the bullshit that Microsoft is forcing them to put that on their
> websties.

Keep in mind that IBM is a huge company and many of the divisions don't
quite see eye-to-eye on all issues.  The PC division in particular has
been known to be highly Windows-biased and has been for many years --
dating well back into the early 1990s when IBM PCs preloaded with IBM's
own OS/2 operating system were as rare as hen's teeth.

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)