Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:16:44 +0200

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
[...]
> As obviously the objective of all of this would be
> to sell binaries without source,

Without non-GPLed sources. Or with sources but not under the GPL
(I mean non-GPLed modules). I see no problem in passing along the
GPLed sources (including derivative works).

>                                  compiling the "ripped"
> file or code would create a derivative work,

Compilers and linkers don't create derivative works. Binary
object code is just another form of the copyrighted source
code.

> Care to explain how you manage to avoid making copies

Under your logic, I can't even read the GPL sources (from the
GNU readline's tarball) without "accepting" the GPL. Get a clue.