Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:36:34 +0200

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:35:29 +0200
Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> [...]
> > In order to extract a file from a tarball, combine
> > it with other software, and distribute the result,
> > you have to make at least one copy. You cannot
> > distribute copies under first sale.
>
> I'll feed the linker with that extracted copy from my brother's web
> site. I'll pay him 0.01. Okay now?

Can't do it if it's a source file. You'd have to
compile it first (thus making a copy or derivative
work, take your pick as it doesn't matter).
If your brother puts up a compiled version,
it would still be copied into the executable, which
-how did you guess it- means a _copy_ (copied->copy,
OK? see that? You there, in the back, stop cheering).
Hence, you cannot distribute the executable without
accepting the terms of the GPL.

And just to be complete, I already stipulated money
has nothing to do with it. It's the copy, stupid!
(Do you even know how computers work, actually?)

--
Stefaan