Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Ernest Schaal
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:10:18 +0900

in article 40D2FDB1.4BA59EB1@web.de, Alexander Terekhov at terekhov@web.de
wrote on 6/18/04 11:35 PM:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> [...]
>> In order to extract a file from a tarball, combine
>> it with other software, and distribute the result,
>> you have to make at least one copy. You cannot
>> distribute copies under first sale.
>
> I'll feed the linker with that extracted copy from my brother's web
> site. I'll pay him 0.01. Okay now?

>From what I have read on this thread, Mr. Terekhov does not seem to
understand the concepts of fair use, or first sale doctrine. I seriously
doubt that the court would construe the copyright law as he would desire
anymore than the tax courts would buy the argument that taxpayers don't have
to pay income tax if they don't use zip codes (one of the strange legal
theories floating on the internet).