Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)

From: Mark K. Bilbo
Subject: Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:25:12 -0500

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:39:34 -0700 in episode
<bbe127a4.0406221539.402620d9@posting.google.com> we saw our hero
e71p@yahoo.com (e71p@yahoo.com):

> I had an interview today where I was told that, because I had coded so
> much for Unix/Linux and only a couple years for Windows that I had to
> "change [my] religion" to Windows. I said, in as polite a tone as
> possible, "well it's not really a religion, it's just an OS; and I'm
> pretty much agnostic about OSes". But that wasn't enough, the dingbat
> manager was apparently quite serious and didn't believe that I could
> convert away from my Unix-and-Linux religion -- he didn't believe I was
> agnostic -- to Windoze. He even mentioned that "at least" I didn't have
> any Java on my resume -- that would have been pure heresy it seems. But I
> even resorted to praising Windows despite the fact that I commonly watch
> Explorer crash under XP Pro after certain operations. Granted the kernel
> itself stays running...just don't install Visual C++! I must say I find it
> pathetic and stupid that people get wrapped up in their little operating
> systems. It's not just the interviewer: the bickering that goes on in
> Usenet is just the same, with Linux advocates trying to insult 'less
> pious' Linux users and Windows zealots making insipid childish attacks.
> The disdain that self-promoted gurus and experts have for the public only
> shows their hubris. And of course anyone who questions open source is
> automatically a heretic--the enemy. And all this religious childishness is
> over what, a stupid box of circuits sitting on your desk? Why the hell
> care? These people need to get a LIFE.

I don't see where a few overzealous people who like to yap at each other
on Usenet has any real significance.

The serious question is what the hell is an ignorant fool such as that
doing in a management position?

--
Mark K. Bilbo  -  a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"I think it's the worst kept secret in Washington.
That everybody - everybody I talk to in Washington
has known and fully knows what [the neo-conservative]
agenda was and what they were trying to do."
[Retired General Anthony Zinni]