Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)

From: Therion Ware
Subject: Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:36:27 +0100

 On 24 Jun 2004 02:43:28 -0700 in alt.atheism, TuxTrax
(arctic@tuxtrax.com (TuxTrax)) said, directing the reply to
alt.atheism

>iain_inkster@hotmail.com (Iain) wrote in message
>> There is a clique of people who use Linux\Unix BECAUSE it is arcane,
>> which involves a sort of extended Orwellian nationalism, which some
>> people call "religious".
>>
>> When Windows XP crashes on me I always get told I should use Linux
>> because it generally doesn't behave samely.
>>
>> I've nothing specific against Linux but ideally I'd use what would
>> otherwise be Windows XP if it never crashed.
>>
>> ~Iain
>
>You are a Mac man waiting to happen. Once you've had Mac, you never go back :-)

Depends what you want to do with your computer.

IMO and generally speaking you should choose your OS according to the
apps you want to use. I do a lot of video work, and use a G4 Cube if I
want to do high quality QT, but for most other kind of video Win2000
Pro does nicely *simply because* there are more, cheaper and better
apps available that work under that OS. And then there's the matter of
spare parts, service and expansion. Expanding a Mac - while it isn't
the nightmare it used to be - is still more expensive than expanding a
PC. And Linux is out of the question for video, because there the
choice of well developed apps in that domain is practically
non-existent. .. Maybe in the next 5 - 10 years.... But if I want a
dedicated comms server, Linux isn't too shabby.

I have here, for instance, a PC (Win 2000 Advanced Server) with an
extra 2.5TB of HDD space which I put together for around 1100 GBP. Try
doing that on a Mac, for that price. On the other hand, I'm looking at
a machine that can import SDI video from a DigiBeta player. While it's
possible on a PC, Mac systems are much more advanced in that high end
video area, so a G5 it is. Then again, if I was a big Quark or
Pagemaker user, then, I'd have a lot more Macs than I do.

As I say, your OS choice should depend what you want to do, and what
you might want to do while being combined with application
availability, choice, price machine service & expandability costs and
so on.

But *that* said, it seems clear the "best" OS is the one you're used
to.

Which opinion, I suppose, I gets me crucified by everyone....

--
"Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You."
- Attrib: Pauline Reage.