Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:16:04 +0100

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 07:26 -0700, Snuffelluffogus wrote:
> Chris Jefferson <caj@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote in message
>
> > The reason for this is that they believe that really bad things can
> > happen to GPLed code. Therefore I was hoping someone could tell me, what
> > is the worst someone can do?
>
> Release it under a "for individual, not-for-profit use only" license.

That would make no difference. They would just strip the copyrights, the
license, etc... and use the code anyway.

> That way if you find it in some mega-corporation's products you can sue
> and make some money.

You can make a lot of money from Copyright violations. Go ask the
netfilter project who's been getting a lot of big donations to the FSF
_and_ forcing compliance to the Copyright licence called GNU GPL.

>  Releasing under the GPL is just plain stupid--
> it permits theft of your labor by companies that can easily pay.

For there to be theft would mean that something was lost. Labour is not
something you win or loose. Now you have it... now you don't. Employment
might be, but labour not.

Releasing on a stupid license like you stupidly suggest helps in
nothing, since all you can fight on is Copyright law. The GNU GPL is
much stronger in that regard.

Rui